Tuesday, January 18, 2011

I'm Still Alive!


Derreck noticed last night that I haven't posted anything in awhile. So I thought I would post something tonight and let everyone know that I am still alive.

We have had the kids for 3 weeks and 2 days. Some days are better than others, some days are worse than others! For the most part though, it could be A LOT worse!!!

The main thing that I am struggling with right now is keeping calm even when I have to repeat myself 10 times, to get them to do a simple task. After about the 3rd time I say something, I tend to start raising my voice. I know that when I do that, it's just going to make matters worse, but the human in me just keeps doing it. I don't want to be known as the foster mom that yelled all the time! So if anyone has any tips on how to get children to listen the first time, I would love to hear them!!! (Seriously)

Since they have started school it seems like it takes forever to get all of their homework, chores, and baths done. By the time they get those few things done, it's bed time. So they don't get hardly any play time. Which makes me feel like a slave driver! I did read a blog the other day that said something about "wanting to teach her kids all kinds of things, and that kids will be kids, they are going to find time to play in between the things you teach them." This made me feel a little better, but then I keep thinking back to my childhood, and all I can remember is the HOURS we spent outside. So I am on the fence about this. I know school work is VERY important and has to be done, otherwise their grades will reflect the lack of work. But my goodness, does it have to take so long!! I don't want them to get behind on their work, I want them to make good grades, and do well in everything, and learn as much as they can, but I am finding it hard to keep their focus long enough for them to do what is required. (Any suggestions, would be greatly appreciated!!)

All of this is wrote, not to complain at all. This is how our life is right now, and I would be a liar if I got on here and wrote that they are perfect little angels, and we have time to get everything done, and we get to play every night before bed time! This is very different from what I am use too. (VERY) However, I honestly don't think I would change things. Our house isn't quite anymore. It's not as clean either! But, we have kids in it now! And that is something we have prayed for for almost 9 years! So with every obstacle that I am face with I am praising God, but I am also asking for guidance from HIM!

"A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger." Proverbs 15:1

2 comments:

  1. Good morning!Come on over to my blog and see that I awarded you as a stylish blogger...basically your on the top 15 every morning I read :) Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must read Setting Limits by Robert Mackenzie. Its on the sidebar on my blog. http://foster2forever.blogspot.com
    I will be giving away a copy on my blog next month when I move to
    http://foster2forever.com!!!
    He emphasizes not to repeat but to go straight to the consequence! Love this book!

    ReplyDelete