Friday, September 3, 2010

Let Your Light Shine



Secret Sister Meeting
Lesson 2

What is your daily schedule?

Mine looks like this:

6:00 am- Sleep
7:00 am- Sleep
8:00 am- More Sleep
9:00 am- Fall out of Bed and Make Coffee (If Derreck is home.)
10:00 am- Get Dressed, Make Bed, Start Laundry
11:00 am- Make house look presentable
12:00 pm- Fix Lunch, clean up 1:00 pm- Run errands
2:00 pm- Most likely still around town
3:00 pm- Who knows
4:00 pm- Beginning to think "Whats for Dinner?" but again who knows
5:00 pm- Hopefully start Cooking Dinner but not always the case
6:00 pm- Eat Dinner if cooked
7:00 pm- Watch TV (If Derreck is home.)
8:00 pm- Start thinking about dessert.
9:00 pm- Still watching TV
10:00 pm- Probably still up
11:00 pm- Lock up and get in bed
12:00 pm- Hopefully I am asleep

I am going to give all the girls a sheet that has a blank schedule on it, for them to fill out. This is just to get us to realize how our days are really spent. The page will also have some questions on it. I am going to go ahead and answer them for myself on here.

1. How calm are your normal days? Somewhat calm but can get chaotic and rushed because of procrastination.

2. Is there anything you would change about your days that you don't really like? It's not that I don't like sleep, because I do (A LOT), but I would and am going to change my bed time and how early I get up. I think that by doing this, I will have more time to read my Bible, practice piano, and exercise. (If you notice none of these are on my schedule as of now, horrible I know!)

3. When do you fit in time for God? When I feel like I don't have anything to do at the moment. I know that it shouldn't be that way. I want to wake up and have my time with God. I just need to grow up and discipline myself.

4. Is it the same time every day? Absolutely not, but it would be nice if it was!

5. Are you letting God shine through you as you go about your day? I haven't been, and I think
that is why this question popped into my head. I know that I can set the tone in my home, and if I am angry or sassy, then that is what the tone is going to be. So I do need to work on this and will be praying and listening to God's guidance as I start to have my morning quite times.

6. How is your attitude? HORRIBLE

7. Are you willing to commit a certain time during your day to ONLY God? Yes, and I am writing it on here, that way if I don't then I lied, and I don't want to be a liar. So...I will commit 6:00 am to my God time!

***We will also be reading Luke and Jonah for the month of September! The goal is to all be on the same page, that way we can discuss different things that we learned throughout the month.

Everyone is also going to get a candle to burn during their Bible times. We will see how the candle plays in at next months meeting!!
 
I got this months lesson of the Internet, but I forgot to
save the address from where it is from.
(really need to work on that!)
Just know that these aren't my words, but they are very good words to follow.
 
Gotta Lotta God: Christian Encouragement for Your Busy Days
 
I woke up this morning thinking about all the things I have to do today. I thought about all the places I have to go, all the e-mails I have to send, all the people I have to pray for, all the messages and Bible studies I have to prepare for, all the papers I have to grade and so on and so on. I quickly said in my mind, "I got a lot to do today. I got a lot on my plate" and then a thought came that blessed me from head to toe. I---got---a---lot---of---God. Actually the word "of" was not pronounced and the thought was more like "I gotta lotta God." I gotta lotta God!
 
I began to realize that there would be no letters to spell the word busy; there would be no day, no night, no schedule, no 'things to do' lists, no people to pray for, preach to, campaign for, teach, write or help in any way if it were not for God's awesome gift in Genesis 1. Genesis 1:1 reads, "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." If I flash forward to Psalms 24:1 I read, "The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof; the world and they that dwell therein." Here I am thinking about the fullness of that little piece of ground I'm going to cover today and I'm a child of the one who owns it all.
 
According to John 1:12, I got the right to call myself a child of God the moment I received Jesus Christ and believed on His name.
 
With that issue settled I went back to Genesis 1 and I considered God's 'things to do' list at the time of creation and I said, "I gotta lotta God". I looked through that chapter to see if I could find the words overwhelmed, or worried, or flustered, or even a "Oh my...Self" (since He is God). I could not find them. No, instead I found that the earth---God's project---was without form, was void and dark.
 
In other words, there was a huge project ahead and absolutely nothing had been done. Does that sound like anybody else day?
 
I dug a little deeper in Genesis 1 and discovered a clear pattern for how to take care of the business of a day. God said "let there be light and there was light". He checked it out, declared it good and then made the necessary adjustments. In this case He divided the light from the darkness. Then, before he finished with that part of the project, He called the light day and the darkness night. (I believe so there wouldn't be any confusion). Then and only then did He close the books.
 
If this were a course in project management I'd be preaching from the top of the table and proclaiming---Speak it with full authority, Watch it come to pass, be proactive where necessary; praise, name it, file it and close the book.
 
The other thing we have to take note of in verse 2 of Genesis 1 is that in the midst of the darkness and void, the first thing God did was turn on the light. He spoke it and it was so. How many times have you tried to plow into a major project without first turning on the light? Somebody say, "First things first."
 
Take a moment here and think about what God is really up to here. God's turning on the light first is for our benefit and a pattern for us to follow in our daily walk. He didn't need the light to see. He is the light and in Him there is no darkness. (1 John 1:5) David made it plain in Psalms 139:12 when he said, "the darkness and the light are both alike to thee."
 
So yes, God turned on the light first, in one regard, as a pattern for us to follow. Everyday in every way we ought to begin by turning on or seeking the light. Light is revealed truth and we can get it in print or by just sitting before the Lord and being still. Psalms 119:105 reads, "Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." There's also tremendous instruction and direction that comes out of His mouth. Proverbs 2:6 reads, "For the Lord giveth wisdom and out of His mouth cometh knowledge and understanding." By seeking God we will know how and what we should do during our days, and by following God's instructions we can have easier days filled with knowing that God is in control.
 
I love just hanging out in God's presence and simply enjoying his company. I am telling you though that the things that come out of His mouth in my daily times with Him are something to behold. This morning was a great example. His wisdom for my "I gotta lot to do" was "I gotta lotta God." That was revealed truth!
 
If we would simply embrace Him in all of His ways and follow His exact and complete instructions for everything, we would be all He has called us to be. He is all we need for the busy and the not so busy days. I encourage you to make a daily practice of getting with Him in praise and thanksgiving, prayer and the Word.
 
He's a lotta God and we've gotta lotta getting to know Him to do. Thank God that He freely reveals Himself 24/7.
 
Questions to Stir You Until the Next Lesson:
 
1. What does Matthew 6:33 say about our priorities for the day?
2. How does Paul define the kingdom of God in Romans 14:17?
3 What did God do for Solomon that proves that God wants us to put "first things first"? (read 1 Kings Chapter 3)
4. Solomon asked the Lord for something that would help him do his God job better. What did Solomon ask for?
5. Is there something that believers should ask for? Find scriptures to support your answer.
6. Are there things in the course of your day that cause you to put off spending quality time in your Word and in God's presence?
7. How can Proverbs 3:5-6 help you get on track?
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment